All of us need a place where we can just be ourselves and shut away the rest of the world. If you have a spare room in your house, why not consider turning it into your own private den? Most guys love to have their own getaway place, simply to chill out or catch up with life.
A den should be an extension of your personality and shouldn’t be about showing it off to other people. Close ones should see shades and splashes of you and your likes in your den. So where do you start?
Dressing Up the Room
- First visualize how you want the room to look. If you already know what kind of furniture you want to have, then deciding the color of your walls as well as other unique wall decorating ideas will be a lot easier. A guy’s room should be a balanced blend of both personality and masculinity. Painting each wall in different shades that merge well together is a good way to give the room a bright bold look.
- Walls with wooden panels and textured floors to match look great as well, and if you prefer carpets, then match the carpet shade to the wall paint. If your furniture is dark in color then it’s preferable to have light shades on the wall or the room will look too flashy.
- The furniture you place in the room depends on how you to plan to use the room. A computer table, a chair and a bookcase are ideal for creating a study. A few bean bags, comfortable sofas, a small coffee table and a couple of shelves or cabinets will complete the room. That way, you won’t be short on storage space, and entertaining friends won’t be a problem
- Empty walls make a room look bare so come up with some original and interesting wall decorating ideas. For example, consider putting up a few home décor wall accessories such as metal wall hangings, paintings or even a wine rack.
- Ideally, the lighting in the room should be neither too dim nor too bright. Simple wall sconces will do the trick. Lamps can enhance the look of a place too. Lava lamps, UFO lamps, lamps with patterns and themed wallpaper lamps with a beach or sports theme will look just as great.
Adding your Personal Touch
Now comes the fun part! After the basic interior is done, its time to decide on the theme.
- If you love golf, why not opt for wall murals with gold course patterns on them, and a matching green carpet on the floor? A few trophies, books on golf, framed posters of golf players, a display of your clubs on the wall, and even upholstery in a golf design, will complete the look.
- If sailing is your passion, how about a nautical theme for the room? You could opt for light blue wallpaper or use blue green, white or deep blue wall paint for a vibrant look. Framed pictures of the sea or a world political map on the wall, a painted rug in a sailboat shape, and light sheer drapes, will give the impression that you are at sea. Pillows, cushions and lamps can have nautical themes as well. Low furniture, a bench placed under a window and even a fish tank will complete the theme.
- For a sportier look, opt for a football themed room. You could dress the room up in the colors of your favorite team, and display various memorabilia of your team as well. Choose neutral colored wall paint or put up wallpaper featuring the logo of your team on one wall. Clocks, plaques, posters, canvases and even wall sconces featuring individual players or the team can brighten up the room. Add a creative touch with cushions that resemble a football, or upholstery with black and white patterns, and rugs that are cut out in the shape of a football.
- Add more personal touches to your room, if you feel a theme could limit your creativity. How about putting up movie posters, framed certificates, a few photo frames and a painting or two on the walls? Figures of movie characters, assembled kit cars and souvenirs from trips will look great on wall shelves, your table or on a book shelf.
If you have a favorite sport, here are some additional wall decorating ideas:
- Display your base ball kit, hang your favourite racquet on the wall, keep your pair of skates in a corner of the room or hang a basket ball hoop on an empty wall.
- Also consider keeping a small liquor cabinet and a mini fridge if you plan to entertain your buddies and maybe some business associates.
So now that your private den is all set, you’re ready to kick back and spend some quality time with just yourself as well as having a cozy spot to invite your buddies for a few pops and some friendly fun guy chit chat and lots of laughter.